If you know me you know I am a big believer in natural skin care products. Our skin, especially the face is highly absorbent and I just don't want to be adding chemicals to that. I believe we are already subjected to enough of it just through everyday life and the environment.
So what do I use to wash my face? The answer is coconut oil. I know, it sounds counter productive, but for my normal to dry skin it actually works, my face looks and feels moisturized, I have less acne, it's the best product I've found to remove makeup, and no it doesn't clog your pores. I've been using coconut oil to cleanse my face for about three months now and I don't plan on changing this routine. So how do you clean your face with coconut oil? Here are some steps...
- Get a clean wash rag, get it damp, wring out excess water, and microwave for about 20 seconds. This isn't a necessity to get it warm, but I find it works a lot better than a room temperature or cold wet rag.
- Use the warm rag and wipe over face to get face damp and open up pores. Then, set rag aside.
- Get about a teaspoon size of coconut oil in hands and spread between both hands. I recommend an unrefined, 100% pure organic coconut oil, but it doesn't have to be organic. The oil should melt and become the consistency of regular oil.
- Now wipe oil with both hands all over face, as if you are washing your face with soap.
- Once oil is lathered on your face, grab your warm wash rag and wipe off oil. You do not need to scrub hard, just enough to get oil off. You might have to go over the same places twice.
- Now you can wipe your face with a dry rag to get leftover oil and water off.
Have you ever used coconut oil in your skin care routine? If not, what do you find works best?